As the weather gets nicer, retail shops will often leave their windows and doors open as well as leave merchandise outside to provide an open air shopping experience for customers. But did you know that employee theft and shoplifting in the United States costs businesses more than $50 billion a year? Statistics also show that shoplifting increases in the summer because kids are out of school and often looking for something to do which sometimes equates to getting into trouble. It’s not just young people who are shoplifting, however. Shoplifting can happen to anyone, by anyone; often by people just looking for a thrill or maybe because they are desperate. Sadly, a vast number of shops lose thousands upon thousands of dollars (if not more) a year from shoplifters alone.
Loss prevention experts agree that there are certain traits to look for in potential shoplifters. They may appear nervous or avoid eye contact. Additionally, they may focus on areas hard to monitor by employees or they may keep track of employee movement. Be sure to train your employees so they know exactly what to look for.
It’s also important to have highly alert employees who follow these shoplifting-prevention techniques.
• Display appropriate “Shoplifters will be prosecuted” signage
• Greet every customer that walks in the door
• Install security mirrors for more secluded areas or areas with higher shelving
• Discuss suspicious persons with other nearby shops
• Keep your store clean and organized so you can better keep track of inventory
• Contact security if necessary
Putting your merchandise outside or even leaving your door open is a welcome invitation to thieves. Especially when stores are more crowded and there are a lot of people around, it’s hard to keep track of who is in your store. This is especially true since most of your time will likely be spent inside the shop, not outside where you could better monitor outside shoppers. It is advised that you keep your merchandise and content inside with the doors closed, no matter the weather.
One of the best ways to prevent theft in your retail shop is to have security cameras installed which can thwart thieves before they even attempt to steal. Sonitrol Pacific can help maximize the protection of your merchandise and safety of employees. Below are just some of the ways Sonitrol Pacific can help.
• Provide the ability to view live surveillance video of what is going on at your store with your computer or smartphone, at any time.
• Intrusion detection systems to help keep your inventory safe and secure.
Contact us today to learn more about how we can help protect your retail shop and give you better piece of mind. To read the rest of the summer newsletter click here.