At Sonitrol Pacific, we value the safety and security of our customers, employees, neighbors and communities at large. We strive to educate people not just about our great security systems, but also about ways they can stay safe outside their home or work.
Here are 10 good ideas from us and around the web for staying safe as we head into fall and the new school year:
- Plan a safe walking route to school or the bus stop. Choose the most direct way with the fewest street crossings and if possible, with intersections that have traffic controls. ( from www.seattle.gov)
- Be sure to check and replace windshield wipers, headlights and defrosters in your car.
- When driving your children to school, deliver and pick them up as close to the school as possible. Don’t leave until they are safely on school grounds. (from from www.seattle.gov)
- Teach your child never to talk to strangers or accept rides or gifts from strangers. Remember, a stranger is anyone you or your children don’t know well or don’t trust.
- Check and reset timers on outdoor security devices to account for shorter days.
- Check the playground equipment at your child’s school. Look for hazards such as rusted or broken equipment and dangerous surfaces. The surface around the equipment should be covered with wood chips, mulch, sand, pea gravel, or mats made of safety-tested rubber or fiber material to prevent head injury when a child falls. Report any hazards to the school. (from www.rd.com)
- The single best way to protect against the flu is to get vaccinated each year in the fall. Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Wash your hands often. Stay home if you get sick. (from www.cdc.gov)
- Every autumn leaves inevitably will fall, leaving your yard cluttered and in need of clean-up. Consider safety tips from the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons to prevent injuries while performing yard work. (from www.nsc.org)
- If you have older children returning home from school in the afternoons, make sure they know how to operate your home security system.
- If you or children ride bicycles to work or school, check that all lights and reflective gear work properly. Mornings and late afternoons will be significantly darker than during summer time.