With the holiday season in full swing, travel plans are on the minds of many of Sonitrol Pacific’s residential clients. Last year, AAA predicted that 93.3 million Americans will hit the road. It’s likely that number will be even higher this year. With all those people on the road, criminals have easier access to unsecured homes with relatively few neighbors to keep watch. Your Sonitrol Pacific verified home security system will make sure that police arrive quickly in the event of a break-in, but preventative steps should always be taken to stop burglars from getting that far. Here are our top five tips for holiday home safety:
1. Stop user error in its tracks: Make sure your system is properly armed and that all doors, gates and windows are closed and locked.
[watch a YouTube video on arming and disarming Sonitrol iBase and Flexibase systems]
2. Keep your travel plans on the ‘down-low’: Don’t publicize that you will be away on social media sites (even on our Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn pages) or to people you do not know well.
3. Put that HideAKey away: Leave your spare key with a trusted relative or neighbor, or put it inside while you’re out of town.
4. Draw the shades: Your house is not a museum—don’t put your valuables on display for all the world to see.
5. Help us help you: Call our Verification Center and let us know that you’ll be away. The more information we have about the comings and goings from your home will help us to identify suspicious activity faster.