The holiday season is a notorious time for an increase of fires in homes. Between hosting gatherings, cooking and all of your holiday plans, it’s easy to get distracted. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), the leading cause of fires is unattended cooking. The most common time this occurs is Thanksgiving and closely behind is Christmas Day then Christmas Eve. Help keep your home safe this holiday season and check out these five tips for reducing the risk of fire in the kitchen.
1) Don’t forget the timer! If you plan to leave the room be sure to take it with you so you can hear it.
2) Keep oven mitts, towels and any other easily flammable items away from cooking areas like stoves.
3) Test your fire alarms to make sure they’re working properly.
4) When using oil be sure to stay in the kitchen when cooking so you can keep a close eye on the food.
5) Remove scarfs and avoid wearing loose clothing when cooking so clothes won’t catch the stove top or other areas.
Sonitrol Pacific can help keep you and your home safe from fires. We monitor smoke and heat detectors, sprinkler systems and pull stations, and quickly dispatch emergency personnel to your home. Give us a call at 1-800-898-1899 to learn more.